Getting Red Carpet (or Prom) Ready

10:00 AM

Awards season may have ended, but that doesn't mean we still can't pine over fancy red carpet dresses and dream about what we'd wear if we were to ever grace the carpet on the arm of our celebrity crush - hey, a girl can dream!

More realistically, we are headed into prom season. Though prom season is, sadly, a thing of the past for me, I'm still such a sucker for gazing at all the dresses whenever I walk into a department store. I may or may not have even tried some on recently just for fun with my best friend. And there may or may not be photographic evidence later on in this post.

With such stylish and stunning tuxedos and suits at The Black Tux, I couldn't help but comb through dresses and pick out three of my favorite two-piece looks... you know, just in case Nick Jonas ever calls in need of a date.

I don't know about you, but I love velvet jackets. In this ensemble, it just looked so stylish, yet simple at the same time. If my date showed up wearing something like this, I would pick this beaded two-piece dress by Terani Couture. For starters, I'm obsessed with the two-piece trend on the red carpet. I think it's such a flattering look and takes a trend from casual to dressy so easily.

I picked this piece in particular because while it is still simple, just like the black velvet jacket, the beaded top is so intricate and different. I think as a pair, this would be such a classy look with a fun, modern twist.

People often seem to forget that guys aren't restricted to just black suits and tuxedos. There are so many other options out there, like this gray suit. It may not look quite as formal as a black suit, but I think it still gets the job done. To complement the gray suit, I chose a dress that added color and patterns, making the whole look as a couple pop. And because the suit was lighter, I picked more springy colors for the dress too.

I also went on a hunt on Nordstrom's website for this two-piece set by Xscape in particular because that's the dress I tried on for fun a few weeks ago and fell in love with. I'm still dreaming about it. This picture wasn't even taken to be shared, but when I was writing this post, I knew I had to include it. If anyone has a reason for me to wear this dress any time soon, please let me know.

For my third look, I looked for a dress I could pair with a midnight blue suit. I was planning on staying away from blue to avoid clashing, but I really loved this set as soon as I saw it. After a bit of deliberation, I decided it wouldn't be a problem next to the blue suit because of the metallic embellishments, which I absolutely adore. They give the otherwise simple ensemble a whole other edge to it.

The Jovani gown looks so comfortable and chic, two of my favorite qualities. I was also drawn to the tulle-texture and look of the skirt due to the outer layer of mesh. It adds drama and, combined with the metallic, would definitely turn heads on a carpet.

Oh, P.S., I decided to revamp my Pinterest and actually start using it again! If you have a Pinterest, follow me here so we can drown in Pinterest boards together.

All images of suits provided by The Black Tux.
Twitter | Instagram | PinterestBloglovin 

You Might Also Like

52 comments

  1. I love the skirt!! Honestly, all the dresses look amazing x
    I followed you on Pinterest, love :)

    Lina / lina-khalifa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have them all in my closet!! Thank you, followed back! :)

      Delete
  2. I love that second two piece and it looks amazing on you! I wish I had some where to wear that as well! Beautiful picks!
    ~Lili
    www.thefashionsalt.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If I could dress up every day, it'd be a dream haha.

      Delete
  3. You're quite right about any dress/suit being appropriate for the special occasion! I love the navy blue tulle skirt and you look lovely in the floral skirt! :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of want a maybe more casual version of it for my everyday closet! Thank you, Gabrielle :)

      Delete
  4. I would love to be an American high schooler just so I could wear that dress

    Jenn | Jennifer Jayne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe another opportunity will come up!!

      Delete
  5. Love your picks! I wished to have an as exciting prom season as in America.
    Have a nice Sunday! xx
    WONDERWALLFLOWER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to admit I do miss it!

      Delete
  6. Prom is in the past for me as well, but that doesn't stop me from looking at ALL the fancy dresses on the slim to none chance that I'll actually have somewhere to wear them haha. My favorite is definitely the first one - the top is so unique and gorgeous!

    Also, followed you on Pinterest! :)
    Sam | http://mybeautycloud.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are literally the same hahaha. I love the top of the first as well! And the skirt!! All those different layers give it such a different look.

      Delete
  7. beautiful formal looks!! :D

    Have a great week!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving these looks! I agree, velvet is so fun! I'm so glad it came back this season with a vengeance!

    Hailey
    www.themiddlecloset.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! I may love velvet a little too much. Is there such a thing?

      Delete
  9. Wow! Beautiful dresses! Love those skirts sooo much!
    Hugs,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh that's a pretty dress! Kinda wish I did this style when I was going to prom.

    Joycentricity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I said when I tried it on haha, that I wish I could go back and wear this to prom instead, or at least this style!

      Delete
  11. The second look is by far my favourite, it looks so beautiful on you. I usually hate skirts and dresses (on myself at least) but that look is actually starting to convert me!

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! What an honor to hear, I'm glad I could play a part in the conversion ;)

      Delete
  12. Oh wow this floral skirt is so cool and it looks amazing on you!!!! I'd love to have that skirt too! xxxx

    www.naomella.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Me too! Any time we get the slightest taste of warm weather, I've been breaking them out.

      Delete
  14. Oh wow this is such a beautiful skirt, Love the red carpet looks. Gemma xx
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  15. These outfits are so cute!
    Beth x
    http://www.bethwatkinson.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore the dress you're wearing, Sora! It's not only perfect for prom, since it's in spring, but it also looks amazing on YOU! Girl, I have some major style regrets from my prom, haha! I looked like big bird, hahaha....no lie! I told my step-daughter that she has no choice, I will be her date because I need a do-over! Anyway, these are great option and tips, I agree, men don' have to stick with a plain black suit. If they wear a different color, they'll be sure to stand out! Thanks so much for sharing and I hope you're having a great week so far!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Jalisa!! You're so sweet. Haha, if I could have a do-over on prom, I'd totally wear that second dress. We should just have a do-over prom, so we all get the opportunity to fix some of our fashion faux pas :P I'm sure you looked beautiful at your prom though! Thank you, you too!

      Delete
  17. Stunning post and very nice

    Thanks for the support and thoughtful words on my recent post, I deeply appreciate it!!

    MyLyfeMyStory

    ReplyDelete
  18. The prom styles are so much better than they used to be when I was in high school! Oh to do it all over again :)

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  19. All the outfits here are great. The flowery skirt with white top is my favorite though. Have a lovely week sweetie :)

    xoxo Eva | www.evakindles.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. you are such a cutie

    http://www.queenhorsfall.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look super adorable & I really love that two-piece set. It's my favorite from the bunch. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely loving your picks, hun! That last gown is my favourite piece, I love the dark blue colour and the tulle-texture. :) <3

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That last one is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could have an everyday version of it!

      Delete
  23. this skirt is so gorgeous! and it looks great on you :)
    www.daza0606.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Don't Miss This

Playlist Necessities: Christmas Music Part 2

Twitter