Playlist Necessities: My Senior Spring Soundtrack - Flo Rida, Shawn Mendes, Andra Day, Fountains of Wayne

9:00 AM

At the beginning of the year, to celebrate the end of 2015, I wrote up a post about the soundtrack to my year. Though I will never be able to put every memory into words or even put every song into a post, I wanted to do something similar to commemorate my senior spring as I come to terms with now being an alumna of my university.

Music is amazing in that way - how you can hear a song and instantly go back to a specific time in your life. The first beat can conjure up a memory so lively that you could swear you're reliving it even if you're miles and miles away. Right now, I'm only slightly over a week out from graduating, but I know these are just a few songs will always remind me of my final semester of college.

Stacy's Mom - Fountains of Wayne
If you go to Northeastern, you know this one is a cop out, but I couldn't possibly post about a soundtrack to my school year without any mention of this song. To you, it may be a childhood relic, but for a Husky, it is an essential cheer at every hockey game. This year, our men's hockey team won our conference championship for the first time in almost 30 years, so this will always bring up the best and some of my most fun memories.

Something Big - Shawn Mendes

At the beginning of the year, I included "Something Big" in a motivation playlist and from then on, I heard it everywhere - in pump up videos before sports games, playing at school events, everywhere. If there was one song I wasn't expecting to become an essential part to my senior spring soundtrack, it was this one, but as a Shawn fan, I am not complaining.

Rise Up - Andra Day

My best friend and I first heard this song (I'm pretty sure) in promo videos for the Olympics while we were watching the U.S. Figure Skating Championships back in January. We are both obsessed with the Olympics and suckers for inspirational songs that are probably going to make us cry come Rio 2016 like this one. I can't even tell you how many times I've listened to this song, including one of our school's acapella group's renditions of it.

My House - Flo Rida
There's a bar close to campus called Our House East, which we more often call Our House. It's where you're bound to run into everyone you know in a single night and where everyone closes out their night. You can only imagine how we all react when "My House" comes on at Our House.

What's one song that you will always associate with a specific memory?

You Might Also Like

52 comments

  1. You have such cool music taste! I don't think I've heard any of these but Stacy's Mom! And that's cause it's just an awesome song! Haha!

    xx Bash |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bash! Haha, it is such a fun song. :)

      Delete
  2. Great selection of music, that song staceys mom reminds me of middle school! Throwback!!

    Kayla xo // Kayla's Vibration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It always takes me straight back to middle school, too!

      Delete
  3. Awesome songs ! Thanks for sharing !
    Nina
    xox
    www.ninasmode.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I don't know these songs but I definitely associate music with my memories :)

    Aly In Wanderland | ^_^ | alyinwanderland.com xx Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is so powerful that way. :) Glad to hear you do the same!

      Delete
  5. Playlists have always been such an integral part of my high school and college years too! Really need to get back into making them!

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love playlists! I always feel like mine could be better, but I love them anyway haha.

      Delete
  6. I like rock music ^^
    A lot.


    Kisses,
    Claudia.
    www.thewhiteprint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great selection of songs. Thanks for sharing loved this post. Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great post, Sora! You are so right, about music conjuring memories of specific moments in time. Right now, as the popular running man to Inoj's song 'I Want to Be Your Lady Baby' is trending, it brings back SO many 90s childhood memories for me, amongst any other classic song from that time. Forge it, I hear any Aaliyah, TLC or Destiny's Child and I wish I could go back in time and just stay there forever! Thanks so much for sharing, beauty, and congrats on graduating, cheers to much success!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, YES!!! 90s music will always take me straight back to childhood. No Scrubs on repeat forever, please! Thank you so much, Jalisa :)

      Delete
  9. great post!

    http://www.carolinapinglo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post!
    Xoxo,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like that song from Shawn Mendes :)


    MY KIND OF JOY

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree that music has an amazing ability to take us back to a particular moments in time! I always associate Corinne Bailey Rae's 'Put Your Records On' with my teen years as I used to find it really calming to listen to each morning before going to school (spoiler: I really, really disliked school, haha). Also, I LOVE that Stacey's Mom is featured in your list haha, I used to love that!!

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice | Twitter | Instagram x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that!! That was a song my friend put on a mix for me during high school, so I always think of that time too. (Trust me, me too, girl haha. I'm glad you found something that helped you throughout it though!) YES! Can't forget the classics ;)

      Delete
  13. Shawn Mendes FTW! I'm going to have to try some of these too.
    Love, Fads

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to listen to all of these! Thanks for sharing!

    xo
    http://www.carinavardie.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great selection! I love how certain songs are linked to specific memories.
    ~Lili
    www.thefashionsalt.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it makes music so much more personal. Thank you!

      Delete
  16. Great. Thanks for sharing!

    www.luv4beautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I actually have sooo many songs that I attribute to certain memories. And actually, if I'm listening to any Paramore, Evanescence or Linkin Park song it takes me back to my middle school years haha. This is a cool playlist though, I haven't heard any of these songs!

    Sam | http://mybeautycloud.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! I have specific Paramore songs that I link with either certain memories or people. Thanks! There is so much music out there.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Yes!! It always puts me in a good mood. :)

      Delete
  19. Nice selection my dear! Now I listen all your songs!!! Have a nice day, kisses and thank you for stopping at my blog,
    Eni

    Eniwhere Fashion
    Eniwhere Fashion Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that makes me so happy! Thanks, Eni!

      Delete
  20. Such a great post! Thanks for sharing and have an awesome new week!

    Style For Mankind
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was really interesting to hear these songs and learn about their meanings to you personally!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
  22. All sorts of songs can so easily conjure up memories for me. I literally have a playlist dedicated to songs that fall in that category so that when I feel like reminiscing I can quickly find them. Some songs that I find annoying at the time because of it's constant play on the radio, I later find as very sentimental. Thanks for sharing your playlist! It actually threw me off a bit to read "Husky" because that's the mascot for my school too! I hope you are doing well now that you have graduated :)

    ~Andrea Tiffany~
    aglimpseofglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! I have a bit too many playlists, it gives me a headache haha. I have to figure out a better way to condense them or organize them! I completely agree. Even though they're so overplayed, once I've gotten some distance from them, they'll always remind me of that time of my life. No way! Do you go to UConn? Thank you!!

      Delete
  23. Great post as always!! It's been awhile... Hope you had a wonderful week!!
    Thanks for the support and thoughtful words on my recent post, I deeply appreciate it!!
    MyLyfeMyStory

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great picks! I'm adding some to my spotify playlist :)

    STYLE VANITY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Glad to hear it :) thank you!

      Delete
  25. Love your music selection:) Lovely post :)

    xoxo Eva | www.evakindles.com

    ReplyDelete

Don't Miss This

Playlist Necessities: Christmas Music Part 2

Twitter