The Perfect Holiday Dress

9:00 AM


Dress - Nobody's Child
Tights - Chinese Laundry
Boots - Material Girl

Unlike most families, for my parents and me, Thanksgiving isn't a big deal. I'm a first-generation American, so the culture of having a big turkey dinner with your entire extended family isn't part of my family's culture. That doesn't mean we don't do anything for the holidays though.

My mom and aunts always got together, especially when my cousins and I were younger, to prepare a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for us. The gatherings eventually stopped, but my family still tries to get together a few people to make it a special dinner rather than just another Thursday night. This year, we were also celebrating my grandparents closing the deal on a house to move closer to us, so I wanted to dress up for the occasion with a dress that suited both autumn and a heavy dinner.

I went with my plaid Nobody's Child dress from last winter, black tights to battle the weather (we're not in California anymore...), and black ankle booties. To be honest, it's essentially the same look I wore last December when I went to Serendipity with one of my friends to get in the holiday spirit. This time around, I curled my hair with a NuMe wand for a dressier look, which I love, but don't do often because it takes a bit of time.

Though smaller than what other people may expect for Thanksgiving, I had a great holiday! Now, the days following were pretty good, too, though my bank account is hurting a bit... I may have made one or two Black Friday purchases, one including a pair of over-the-knee boots, a trend I blogged about last year, from Missguided that I'm so excited about! I'll be sure to share once they arrive in the mail!

And a shameless Snapchat selfie because I loved my makeup...

You Might Also Like

32 comments

  1. Love your dress! You look so gorgeous, and I love how you styled your hair too. :) Hope to hear from you soon!

    Love, Airish
    Gorgeous Glance
    http://www.airishabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so gorgeous! I love how you curled your hair, it definitely looks worth the effort! Also no shame in saving a good selfie with a snapchat filer. your makeup looks really pretty, and I love that lip color you had on! My family doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving in the traditional way either. But we still have a great time spending the day together having an excuse to feast!

    ~Andrea Tiffany~
    aglimpseofglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I really like curling my hair! It just takes so much time, so I don't do it often haha. Very true, you gotta do what you gotta do :P Thank you so much! I think I was wearing a shade from Smashbox, but I could be wrong... I'm glad you still had a good day together!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely dress! You look so pretty. Have a great weekend.

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're absolutely right, this is actually the perfect dress! The colour and the fit is perfect on you.

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
    My Instagram | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  5. First generation American or not....You still a gorgeous gal! Love your dress..

    XOXO
    kellmenow | http://www.kellmenow.com/productreviews/
    Instagram | https://www.instagram.com/kell_menow/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Nobody's Child dress looks amazing on you and the tartan print really is perfect for the holiday season, like you've said! SO looking forward to seeing your gorgeous new OTK Missguided boots too! :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Gabrielle! I love pulling out this dress always, but especially for the holidays. I just got them the other day and I'm OBSESSED! I'll definitely post about them soon :)

      Delete
  7. Such a cute checked dress! It would also be the perfect dress for Christmas! xoxo

    www.naomella.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, it's definitely the perfect holiday dress! I don't know if it's just the time of the year but I really love plaid at the moment, such a easy and lovely style to pull off! :-)

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the time of year definitely helps! Agreed, and thank you! :)

      Delete
  9. It's such a festive appropriate dress, but super versatile at the same time! Well done :)
    xx
    LA VEINE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what's so great about it :) thank you!

      Delete
  10. Such a cute dress, also really loving this makeup look! Glad you enjoyed the day :)

    http://skylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what an absolutely beautiful and versatile dress! :) I really like how you styled your hair, as well - it looks so lovely! Thanks for sharing, hun. <3 xoxo

    Kay
    http://www.shoesandglitter.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dress is perfect indeed! Love how you styled it!
    Kira
    Kira Is Wearing
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great you grandparents are going to be closer to you now. Family s so important.
    Even if you don't celebrate the traditional way you still enjoyed the day and that's what's important.
    I like the dress and you look great in it. Nice choice :)
    xo
    Sauniya | Find Your Bliss ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. It's so much easier, especially on my parents, having them closer as well. So true :) Thank you!

      Delete
  14. You look so pretty

    http://thedaydreamings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Don't Miss This

Playlist Necessities: Christmas Music Part 2

Twitter